Costa Rica in 10 Days
Pura Vida & Paradise in Tamarindo
The perfect overview of Costa Rica for those short on time, including lush rainforests, abundant wildlife and paradise beaches.
The perfect mix of adventure and relaxation in the tropical paradise of Costa Rica. Stroll through the historic streets of San José and feel the strength of the Arenal Volcano as you uncover the native wildlife on a nature hike. Admire the verdant landscapes of the interior before heading to the coast for a relaxing stay in Tamarindo. Ready to live the Pura Vida?
10 days trip including flights*
9 days and 8 nights in destination
LON - SJO
SJO - LON
SJO - LON
* It may change depending of your departure city, departure date and arrival date.
The calendar does not display internal flights, trains or other transportation included in the itinerary.
Ready to live the Pura Vida in Costa Rica? Arrive at your US departure airport to board a flight* to San José. Arrive in the capital of Costa Rica and transfer to your hotel. Spend the rest of the day at your leisure getting to know the colonial plazas and charming neighbourhoods of San Jose. Overnight stay in San José.
* If either your outbound or inbound flights depart in the early hours (before 4:00 a.m.) you must arrive at the airport the night before the indicated departure day.
Breakfast at the hotel. This morning, take a shared transfer to Arenal, passing by the lush landscapes of Costa Rica's interior. Arrive at the hotel and check-in. In the afternoon, meet your guide and embark on a guided hike to the Arenal Volcano. Enjoy a hiking experience through trails marked with the remains of previous lava flows of the impressive and majestic Arenal Volcano. The main attraction of La Fortuna is the Arenal Volcano, with its nearly perfect cone shape and a height of 1633 meters. Along the hike, you can discover the abundant flora and fauna which inhabits the rainforest, which is being regenerated. Learn all about the Arenal Volcano and its history and activity from your guide. After the hike, you may choose to visit one of the popular hot springs in the area to relax and enjoy the thermal waters, which are naturally heated by the volcano (optional extras).* Overnight stay in Arenal.
* Thermal Hot Springs in Tabacón: Enjoy one of the main natural wonders of the country with waterfalls that form natural pools whose thermal waters emerge directly from the impressive and active Arenal Volcano. Dinner included.
* Paradise Hot Springs Pass: Enjoy an evening of indulgence with a pass to the Paradise Natural Hot Springs, heated by the Arenal Volcano. Enjoy access to three different hot pools and two hydromassage hot tubs, perfect for relaxing in the beautiful tropical surroundings.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today, set off on an exciting river safari in an inflatable raft along the quiet Rio Peñas Blancas. Accompanied by an expert naturalist guide, travel through the abundant waterways, teeming with colorful flora and fauna. Look out for monkeys, toucans and sloths and spot vibrant tropical birds as you soak up the beauty of the immaculate natural environment. Return to Arenal and enjoy the remainder of the day relaxing at your leisure and enjoying the views of the Arenal Volcano. Overnight stay in Arenal
Breakfast at the hotel. Another free day to enjoy the tranquillity of this beautiful natural environment. We recommend the optional excursion to the Hanging Bridges for a unique view of the rainforest, or a sloth observation excursion.* Overnight stay in Arenal.
* Optional Hanging Bridges Cloud Forest Excursion: Admire the beauty of the forest and the backdrop of the Arenal Volcano and gain valuable insight into the native plant and animal species from your expert guide. Journey across a series of hanging bridges for a birds-eye view of the rainforest.
* Optional Sloth Observation Excursion: Get to know these beloved slow-moving animals, icons of Costa Rica. Head to the aptly named 'Lazy Territory', a small eco-project, home to a population of sloths. Follow the trails and spot both two-toed and three-toed sloths resting in the treetops with the help of an expert guide.
After a delicious breakfast transfer to Tamarindo, in the province of Guanacaste, known for its beautiful beaches and surfing. Arrive at the hotel and begin your relaxed beach stay surrounded by idyllic beaches, bathed in Guanacaste sunshine. Overnight stay in Tamarindo.
Breakfast at the hotel. This morning, set off to Las Baulas National Park to enjoy a boat safari through its lush mangroves. A 2-hour boat tour will take you through rich, biodiverse habitats, teeming with monkeys, tropical birds and crocodiles. Feel close to nature as you soak up the beautiful landscapes and learn about the unique habitat with the help of an expert naturalist guide. Slowly travel along the channels, so as not to disturb the wildlife, and admire the wonderful natural beauty of this idyllic reserve. Back at the hotel, the remainder of the day is free at your leisure. We recommend an optional canopy tour in the Hilltop Eco Adventure Park.* Overnight stay in Tamarindo.
* Optional Canopy Tour: Begin your adventure in the treetops of the Hilltop Eco Adventure Park, for fantastic views of Tamarindo Bay and a series of suspension bridges and zip wires to explore the rainforest like a pro! It's a heart-pumping experience to see wildlife from this unique vantage point!
Breakfast at the hotel. Spend the day relaxing on the beaches of Tamarindo at your leisure. If you'd rather get moving and see more of the region, embark on one of our optional excursions such as a Catamaran Tour or a Quad Biking experience!* Overnight stay in Tamarindo.
* Optional Catamaran Tour: Set off in the morning on a relaxing catamaran tour. The route is the same as the afternoon but with much less boat traffic. Look out for marine life such as whales, dolphins and rays, and enjoy snorkelling in the clear waters. Buffet brunch included.
* Quad Biking (ATV) Experience: Get comfortable on your Quad Bike with the help of the crew before discovering the verdant rainforest and tropical jungles of the mountains surrounding Tamarindo, home to monkeys, iguanas and sloths! It's an exhilarating experience as you drive along dirt roads to the stunning viewpoint that looks over the Bay of Tamarindo. One quad bike per person with the option to share a quad bike. If both passengers want to drive the same quad bike you must pay for two people. Self-driven excursion with a guide. Minimum 2 quad bikes for the tour to operate.
Breakfast at the hotel. Transfer back to the capital, to spend your last night in San José. We suggest taking a stroll through this beautiful city, visiting the National Theatre of Costa Rica or enjoying a delicious dinner at a local restaurant. Overnight stay in San José.
Breakfast at the hotel. At the indicated time, transfer to the airport to board your flight back to the UK/Ireland. Night on board.
Touch down in the UK/Ireland and end your trip, filled with brilliant memories and feeling refreshed after your Costa Rican adventure!
*In case the advertised hotels are not available they will be replaced by one of these alternative hotels with the same quality: Park Inn by Radisson San Jose.
Included activity for day 2 in Arenal
Duration 03:00h Approx. Pick up time: 14:30 Approx
Guided hike to the Arenal Volcano
Take a guided hiking excursion to the Mirador el Silencio to discover the abundant landscapes of the incredible Arenal Volcano! Discover the rich flora and fauna of the rainforest and learn about one of Costa Rica's most iconic natural wonders.
What's included: Transfer, bilingual guide, entrance to the park
Included activity for day 3 in Arenal
Duration 04:30h Approx. Pick up time: 07:29 Approx
Peñas Blancas River Safari
Set off on an exciting river safari in an inflatable raft along the quiet Rio Peñas Blancas. Accompanied by an expert naturalist guide, travel through the abundant waterways, teeming with colourful flora and fauna!
What's included: Transport, guide, snacks, equipment
Included activity for day 6 in Tamarindo
Duration 02:30h Approx. Pick up time: 07:00 Approx
Boat Safari on Tamarindo Estuary
Discover the unique flora and fauna which inhabit the lush mangroves on a boat safari! Look out for noisy howler monkeys, crocodiles and iguanas, whilst appreciating the colourful birdlife above.
What's included: Transfer, bilingual guide, boat trip
If you have reduced mobility you can request assistance for these activities by speaking to one of our experts
Suggested activity for day 2
Duration 04:00h Approx. Pick up time: 17:30 Approx
Paradise Hot Springs Pass
Enjoy an evening of indulgence with a pass to the Paradise Natural Hot Springs, heated by the Arenal Volcano. Enjoy access to three different hot pools and two hydromassage hot tubs, perfect for relaxing in the beautiful tropical surroundings.
What's included: Transportation - Entrance to the hot springs - Dinner
Suggested activity for day 2 in Arenal
Duration 04:00h Approx. Pick up time: 17:30 Approx
Arenal: Tabacón Thermal Baths Excursion
One of the natural wonders of Costa Rica, bathe in the thermal waters that emerge directly from the impressive and active Arenal Volcano! Relax and unwind as you enjoy the therapeutic properties of these natural springs. Dinner included.
Suggested activity for day 4 in Arenal
Duration 02:30h Approx. Pick up time: 07:50 Approx
Cloud Forests Excursion
Take a 3km long route which consists of a combination of paths and 8 bridges, where you can explore the different layers of the cloud forest as well as the inhabitants of each of them from the ground up to the treetops.
What's included: Transfer - Bilingual guide - Entrance to the bridges
Suggested activity for day 4
Duration 03:00h Approx. Pick up time: 08:00 Approx
Sloth Observation Excursion
Get to know these beloved slow-moving animals, icons of Costa Rica. Head to the aptly named 'Lazy Territory', a small eco-project, home to a population of sloths. Follow the trails and spot both two-toed and three-toed sloths resting in the treetops.
What's included: Bottle of mineral water, entrance fee to the park, transfer to and from your hotel with air conditioning and wifi
The price includes
- Included in all our trips. more information
- Departures from main UK/Ireland airports.
- International flights: UK/Ireland - San José - UK/Ireland.
- 8 nights accommodation in Superior category hotels. *more informationSee hotels included
- 8 breakfasts. **more information
- Transfers in air-conditioned vehicles.
- Visits and entrance fees as indicated in the itinerary.See itinerary
- All air taxes and fuel surcharge.
- Exclusive access to Langosta Beach Club. ***more information
- English-speaking guide only during the excursions.
Drinks, tips and any other services not mentioned in what's included.
If your destination is in the USA or Canada, or if your selected flights to a different destination have connections in the USA or Canada, it is mandatory to have an ESTA (for USA) or an eTA (for Canada) before travelling.
* If the advertised hotels are not available they will be replaced by one of these alternative options or similar:
San José: Park Inn.
Arenal: Lomas del Volcan.
** Depending on the return flight schedule and the hotel breakfast service, you may not be able to enjoy the included breakfast on the last day.
*** As a guest of Wyndham Tamarindo you have exclusive access to Langosta Beach Club, located in Tamarindo, on the road to Playa Langosta.
- Entry requirementsValid passport with at least six months validity.
- VisaVisa is not required for stays less than 90 days.
- CurrencyCosta Rican Colon
- Electricity110 V. Adapter required.
- HealthPlease consult your doctor regarding malaria prophylaxis.
- Time zoneUTC - 06:00
- Other useful informationLocal emergency number: 128
- Tourist Office websitehttps://www.visitcostarica.com/en
Remember to download your e-ticket to confirm the times of your flights and to complete online check-in using the airline’s website, or directly at the check-in desk at the airport.
Accommodation at the hotels is as indicated. In the event of any changes to accommodation, they will always be of the same, or a higher category. The category of hotels is not standardized across all countries in the world. For this reason, the criteria may differ depending on the destination country's own standards.
In the case of adverse weather conditions, for safety reasons or for any other reasons deemed appropriate, the order and duration of the excursions included in the itinerary may be changed or canceled without prior notice.
Children: 2 - 10 years.
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office offer up-to-date travel advice by visiting www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.