Cities of the Silk Road
Uzbekistan in 10 Days • 7 Nights in Destination
An essential tour of Uzbekistan's historic Silk Road cities including incredible architecture, captivating cultural experiences and comprehensive sightseeing.
Travel to the country of blue domes, an evocative dream between East and West, full of madrasas, bazaars, mosques, deserts and palaces that twinkle under the light of the stars. Discover the fortified heart of Khiva, unspoilt Bukhara and legendary Samarkand, in the triangle of the Silk Road. Fall in love with Tashkent, the modern capital, and soak up the history and culture of unique Uzbekistan.
Arrive at your UK/Ireland departure airport, ready to board a flight* to Tashkent. Night on board.
* If either your outbound or inbound flights depart in the early hours (before 4:00 a.m.) you must arrive at the airport the night before the indicated departure day.
Arrive in Tashkent*, the capital of Uzbekistan, and transfer to the hotel. Spend the day at your leisure, exploring the city as you wish. We recommend getting to know the capital with an optional city tour of Tashkent.* Overnight stay in Tashkent.
* Your outbound flight may arrive very late in the evening, or in the early hours of the following morning, so you have the option to book early check-in.
** Optional Tashkent Tour (Midday) Take a tour of Tashkent to see the Hasti Imam complex: Barak Kan Madrasa, Kafal Shohi Madrasa, Tilla Seykh mosque and the Museum of Usman Coran. Finally, visit Victory Park.
** Optional Tashkent Tour (Afternoon): Take an afternoon tour of Tashkent to see the highlights of the city and visit the History Museum of Uzbekistan, the White Mosque and the Metro system.
Breakfast at the hotel. In the morning, set off to visit Tashkent Old Town. Admire Kukeldash Madrasa, the largest in the city. From the Madrasa's towers, the melodic call of prayer is announced. Take a stroll through the exotic Chorsu Bazaar, a covered market whose main building has an elegant turquoise dome. Next, explore the modern part of the city and discover the amazing contrasts as you visit Independence Square, Eternity Square, the amazing Romanov Palace and Amir Temur Square. At the indicated time, transfer to the airport to board a flight to Urgench.* Arrive and transfer to Khiva. Check in to the hotel and enjoy the remainder of the evening at your leisure. Overnight stay in Khiva.
* Please note: the flight from Tashkent to Urgench will be on the morning of day 3 of your trip, therefore you will have 2 nights in Tashkent instead of 1, and 1 in Khiva instead of 2.
Breakfast at the hotel. Set off to visit the Itchan-Kala architectural complex, protected by high brick walls and declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Khiva was part of the Silk Road Triangle, together with Bukhara and Samarkand. Among its many wonders explore the Kunya Ark Castle, sumptuously decorated; the Madrasa Mohammed Rakhmin Khan which houses an interesting museum about the city, and the minaret of Islam Khodja. Next, visit Tash Hovli Palace, built of stone and blue coloured ceramics brought from China. End the visit at the Juma Mosque and the Allakuli Khan Madrasa. Spend the rest of the day exploring at your leisure. You also have the option to add an extra tour to the Mausoleum of Pahlavan Mahmud.* Overnight stay in Khiva.
* Optional Mausoleum of Pahlavan Mahmud Excursion: Discover the Mausoleum of Pahlavan Mahmud, a philosopher, poet, fighter, tanner craftsman and founder of a branch of Sufism. Afterwards, enjoy the sunset from the Oq-Sheykh Bobo viewpoint.
Breakfast at the hotel. Leave by road to Bukhara, southeast of Khiva. During the 8-9 hour journey, cross the Kizil-Kum Desert which means 'red sands' in Arabic and see the historic Amudarya River, which marks the border with Kazakhstan. Arrive in Bukhara in the afternoon, transfer to the hotel and spend any free time exploring this atmospheric city at your leisure. Overnight stay in Bukhara.
Breakfast at the hotel. Transfer to the city of Samarkand, located 290 kilometers east of Bukhara. Arrive in Samarkand and, in the afternoon, take a guided city tour. See the legendary Registan Square, where you can admire spectacular madrasas, dating back to between the 4th and 7th-centuries, such as Ulughbek, Shir-Dor and Tilla-Kori. Next, visit the Guri Emir Mausoleum, to explore the tomb of Tamerlane, built in the 15th-century and a precursor and for many later Mughal tombs around the world. Overnight stay in Samarkand.
Breakfast at the hotel. Begin the day with a visit to Bibi-Khanum Mosque and the charming Siab Bazaar, where locals sell their artisan wares, the perfect place to shop for souvenirs. You also have the option to book an optional tour of the beautiful Shakhi Zinda architectural complex.* In the afternoon, transfer to the station to board a train back to Tashkent. Arrive in the capital of Uzbekistan and transfer to the hotel. Overnight stay in Tashkent.
* Optional Shakhi Zinda Architectural Complex Tour: Discover the mind-blowing mosaics of the Shaki Zinda Architectural Complex, home to an ensemble of ancient mausoleums dating back to around the 6th-century. Afterwards, see the beautiful Ulughbek Observatory to trace Uzbekistan's astronomical heritage.
Breakfast* at the hotel. Spend today at your leisure.* At the indicated time, transfer to the airport for a flight back to the UK. Night on board.
* Depending on the return flight schedule and the hotel breakfast service, you may not be able to enjoy the included breakfast on the last day.
Arrive in the UK/Ireland and end your trip.
10 days trip including flights*
8 days and 7 nights in destination
LON - TAS
LON - TAS
TAS - LON
TAS - LON
* It may change depending of your departure city, departure date and arrival date.
The calendar does not display internal flights, trains or other transportation included in the itinerary.
Accommodation: 7 Nights
Half-Day Tashkent Old & New Tour
Discover the highlights of Tashkent Old Town including the enormous Kukeldash Madrasa and the exotic Chorsu Bazaar. Next, explore the modern part of the city and discover contrasts as you visit the city's spacious squares and see the Romanov Palace.
What's included: Transfer & guide
Visit to the Itchan-Kala Architectural Complex
Visit the incredible Itchan-Kala architectural complex. Among its many wonders see the Kunya Ark Castle, the Madrasa Mohammed Rakhmin Khan and the Islam Khodja Minaret. Next, visit Tash Hovli Palace, the Juma Mosque and the Allakuli Khan Madrasa.
What's included: Transfer & guide
Half-Day Tour of Bukhara
Take a comprehensive tour of Bukhara. Visit the Mausoleum of the Samanids, Chashmai Ayub Spring and the charming Bolo Hauz Mosque. Explore the spectacular Lyabi Hauz Architectural Complex, see Kalon Mosque and discover Bukhara's atmospheric bazaar.
What's included: Transfer & guide
Take a guided tour of Samarkand to see the legendary Registan Square and madrasas such as Ulughbek, Shir-Dor and Tilla-Kori. Next, visit the Guri Emir Mausoleum, to explore the tomb of Tamerlane, built in the 15th-century.
Afternoon City Tour in Tashkent
2-3 hour city tour of Tashkent. Visit the History Museum of Uzbekistan and the White Mosque and explore the city's metro system.
Midday City Tour in Tashkent
2-hour tour of Tashkent to see the Hasti Imam complex: Barak Kan Madrasa, Kafal Shohi Madrasa, Tilla Seykh mosque and the Museum of Usman Coran. Finally, visit Victory Park.
Mausoleum of Pahlavan Mahmud Excursion in Khiva
Discover the Mausoleum of Pahlavan Mahmud, a philosopher, poet, fighter, tanner craftsman and founder of a branch of Sufism. Afterwards, enjoy the sunset from the Oq-Sheykh Bobo viewpoint.
Ark Citadel & Chor Minor Excursion in Bukhara
Visit the amazing Ark citadel, an imposing fortress dating back to the 5th-century and see the impressive Chor Minor, a historic gatehouse for a now-destroyed madrasa.
The price includes
- Included in all our trips. more information
- Departures from the main UK/Ireland airports.
- International flights: UK/Ireland - Tashkent - UK/Ireland.
- Internal flight: Tashkent - Urgench. *more information
- Train ticket from Samarkand - Tashkent.
- 7 nights accommodation in Charm and Superior category hotels.See hotels included
- 7 Breakfasts. **more information
- Transfers in air-conditioned vehicles.
- Visits and entrance fees as indicated in the itinerary with an English-speaking guide.See itinerary
- All air taxes and fuel surcharge.
- ATOL Protection.
*The cancellation policy applicable is according to the Terms and Conditions available and agreed at the time of your purchase
Entrances, drinks, tips and any other services not mentioned in what's included.
* Documentation of the internal flights will either be available in the "My bookings" section in your "Customer Area" 14 days before your trip or delivered to you on arrival at your destination. It is essential to fill in the passport information correctly for each passenger in the given boxes at the end of the reservations process.
** Possibility to add daily lunch in the next step of the booking process.
- Entry requirementsPassport required. Your passport should be valid for at least three months after you’ve entered Uzbekistan.
- VisaBritish passport holders can enter Uzbekistan as a visitor without a visa for stays of up to 30 days.
- CurrencyUzbekistani Som
- Electricity220 V. European style plug.
- HealthThere are no mandatory vaccinations for travellers from the U.K.
- Time zoneUTC + 05:00.
- Tourist Office websitehttp://welcomeuzbekistan.uz/en/
Remember to download your e-ticket to confirm the times of your flights and to complete online check-in using the airline’s website, or directly at the check-in desk at the airport.
Accommodation at the hotels is as indicated. In the event of any changes to accommodation, they will always be of the same, or a higher category. The category of hotels is not standardized across all countries in the world. For this reason, the criteria may differ depending on the destination country's own standards.
If you have reduced mobility/require the use of a wheelchair and prefer to go at your own pace, please contact our customer service team at +44 20 8068 3176 or via our contact form.
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office offer up-to-date travel advice by visiting https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
Exoticca Travel Stories
Creating unforgettable memories, one traveller at a time
Wonderful trip to Uzbekistan
This is the third time we have travelled with Exoticca and each holiday has been well organised, with great guides and itineraries. All the arrangements and included excursions were well run. Would definitely use Exoticca again, particularly for multi-centre holidays.