Portugal in 13 Days
Cultural Treasures & Magical Madeira
Discover the vibrant cities of Portugal on a journey through its most inspiring destinations. Explore the lively neighborhoods of Lisbon, the fairytale castles of Sintra and travel to Fátima, filled with enigmatic spiritual landmarks. Uncover the heart of Porto, known for its wine, before heading to the Atlantic island of Madeira to discover its lush landscapes and unique traditions.
13 days trip including flights*
12 days and 11 nights in destination
NYC - LIS
NYC - LIS
FNC - NYC
* It may change depending of your departure city, departure date and arrival date.
The calendar does not display internal flights, trains or other transportation included in the itinerary.
Ready to discover the spectacular cities and landscapes of Portugal? Arrive at your departure airport, ready to catch a flight to Lisbon.* Night on board.
* If either your outbound or inbound flights depart in the early hours (before 4:00 a.m.) you must arrive at the airport the night before the indicated departure day.
Touch down in Lisbon, the capital of Portugal, known for its dramatic coastline and pastel-colored buildings. Transfer to the hotel and enjoy the remainder of the day at your leisure. Why not explore the oldest parts of the city to admire the ornate architecture or simply enjoy the views of the River Tagus from one of the many riverside cafes and bars. Overnight stay in Lisbon.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today, set off on a tour of Lisbon for an eye-opening overview of this incredible city. Begin with a fascinating walking tour of Alfama, one of the oldest areas in the city, perched upon the hillside with spectacular views across the sprawling cityscape. End your morning tour at the church of the Monastery of Jerónimos, home to the tomb of Vasco da Gama and the famous poet Camões. Stop for a moment to contemplate the incredible Belém Tower before heading to the Pastéis de Belém for a mouth-watering pastry tasting session. Be sure to try a delicious Portuguese Tart, perhaps the most famous pastry in the country. In the afternoon, explore the city center on a walking tour around the Praça do Comércio Square and Rossio Square before enjoying some free time to discover the city at your own pace. Overnight stay in Lisbon.
*Optional Dinner & Fado Show: Head to the historic neighbourhood of Alfama to indulge in an evening of traditional Portuguese cuisine accompanied by the melancholic sounds of Fado music. Soak up the warm atmosphere and listen to the soft melodies of the Portuguese guitar as you experience the authentic musical heritage of Lisbon for yourself!
Why not upgrade your trip with our Portugal Highlights package of 2 excursions, available in the next step of the booking process!
Breakfast at the hotel. Set off on an excursion to Sintra, an unforgettable town and UNESCO World Heritage Site, filled with 19th-century Romanticist architecture, fairytale castles and exquisite gardens. Here you'll visit the Quinta da Regaleira Gardens and Palace considered the most enigmatic of all the estates in Sintra. The palace is a fusion of ornate and colorful architectural styles but the main attraction is the extensive gardens, filled with symbolism and intriguing constructions. After the tour, enjoy free time in Sintra to explore at your own pace. In the afternoon head to Cape Roca, the most westerly point of the European continent. Here you can soak up the views of the Atlantic Ocean and explore the village of Cascáis, once the chosen beach destination of the aristocracy. Return to Lisbon and enjoy the remainder of the day exploring the delights of this cosmopolitan city at your leisure. Overnight stay in Lisbon.
Breakfast at the hotel. Head to Óbidos today, one of the best-known villages in Portugal thanks to its magical cobblestone streets and charming architecture, enclosed within medieval city walls. Next, visit Nazaré, a surfers paradise, home to some of the largest waves in the world and the most popular beach destination on the Silver Coast. Finish the day in the historic and fascinating city of Fátima, one of the most important pilgrimage sites for Catholics. Sacred sights here include the Capelinha das Aparições, where the Virgin Mary is believed to have appeared to local children in 1917, the Basílica de Nossa Senhora do Rosário, with its golden angels, and the modern church of Igreja da Santíssima Trindade. Spend the evening at your leisure, discovering the sights and sounds of this beautiful city at your own pace. Overnight stay in Fátima.
Breakfast at the hotel. Bid farewell to Fatima today as you set for Tomar to visit the famous Convent of Christ complex, once a stronghold of the Templars in the 12th-century. Uncover the history of the Templars in Portugal, including the beautiful medieval chapel and the ornate cloister, a masterpiece of Renaissance architecture. Explore this fascinating UNESCO World Heritage site before continuing to the city of Coimbra, once the capital of Portugal and today a student city, home to the oldest university in the country. As the day draws to a close, travel to Porto, in northern Portugal on the banks of the Douro River. With its stunning Old Town, Porto is one of the highlights of any trip to Portugal. Spend the evening at your leisure, exploring the city's atmospheric streets. Overnight stay in Porto.
*Optional Fado and folklore Show with Traditional Dinner: A fantastic gastronomic show that will highlight the remarkable traditions of the Douro and northern Portuguese culture. This lively evening will combine Folklore songs, traditional dances and an all-inclusive dinner paired with some of the best wines in Portugal. Sing and dance the night away, a true authentic experience to remember.
Breakfast at the hotel. Begin the day with a panoramic tour of Porto to see the main attractions of the city such as the exterior of Clérigos Tower, Aliados Avenue, the impressive Sao Bento train station and the iconic bridge of Luis I. In the afternoon, soak up the delights of Porto at your own pace, admiring the famous tiled facades or sampling the authentic local port in a cosy cafe. Alternatively, we recommend an unforgettable boat tour on the River Douro.* Overnight stay in Porto.
* Optional River Douro Boat Tour: In the afternoon, set off on an unforgettable boat tour on the Douro River to enjoy spectacular views of the city. After cruising on the river, visit a local port wine cellar and enjoy a tasting session of this typical Portuguese drink.
Please note: Entrance to the Bolsa Palace (10 euros per person) and Church of Saint Francis (8 euros per person) is optional and is not included.
Why not upgrade your trip with our Portugal Highlights package of 2 excursions, available in the next step of the booking process!
Breakfast at the hotel. Leave Porto this morning, headed for the charming coastal city of Aveiro where you can enjoy some free time to explore its picturesque canals and colorful architecture. In the afternoon, return to the capital of Lisbon and enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure to soak up the ambience of this lively city or do some last-minute shopping. Overnight stay in Lisbon.
Breakfast* at the hotel. At the indicated time, transfer to the airport for your flight to Madeira.** Arrive on the Portuguese island of Madeira, part of the Madeira archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean. Transfer to the hotel and get settled before enjoying the remainder of the day at your leisure, discovering the delights of the capital, Funchal. We recommend starting your time in Madeira in a memorable way with an optional 'typical night in Madiera' experience!* Overnight stay in Madeira.
** Optional Typical Night in Madeira: Spend the evening dining on traditional Madeiran cuisine of marinated beef, delicious fried maize, homemade bread and local wines at an authentic restaurant and enjoy live entertainment by a Madeiran folklore group. Available on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only.
Breakfast at the hotel. Enjoy a day at your leisure in Maderia, exploring the verdant landscapes of the interior of finding the perfect spot on the beach to spend a relaxing day. We recommend an optional tour to Porto Moniz to discover the unique natural landscapes of the island.* Overnight stay in Madeira.
* Optional full-day tour to Porto Moniz: Start with a visit to the fishing town of Camara de Lobos and the coastal village of Ribeira Brava before journeying into the lush interior of the island to the Encumeada mountain pass, for breathtaking views across the entire island. Descend to the north coast until reaching Porto Moniz, famed for its volcanic rock pools and dramatic landscapes. After lunch, continue inland to the Paúl da Serra viewpoint, where you can contemplate a beautiful panorama of Madeira's unique landscape. Finally, explore the southwest coast, including Calheta, Ponta do Sol and Cabo Girão. Please note: this excursion is vailable on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only.
Breakfast at the hotel. Enjoy another day to explore Madiera at your own pace. Known as the 'island of eternal spring', the subtropical climate ensures pleasant weather all year round, so get out and discover the rich landscapes, botanical gardens and rugged coastline. We recommend an optional excursion to the charming village of Santana or an exciting Toboggan Ride experience, an authentic Madeiran tradition!* Overnight stay in Madeira.
* Optional excursion to Santana: Journey through the landscapes of towering Pico do Arieiro and Ribeiro Frio before arriving at charming Santana, home to colorful A-framed cottages, topped with traditional thatched roofs. Furthermore, the gardens surrounding the village are known for their beautiful flowers. After lunch, continue along the north coast to visit Porto da Cruz and soak up the mountain views from Portela. Continue to Machico, where explorers first landed in Madeira and finally visit Camacha, home to a famous wickerwork factory. Please note: this excursion is available on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only.
Breakfast at the hotel. Spend your final day in Madeira at your leisure. Soak up the atmosphere of Funchal's pretty harbour or perhaps visit the Contemporary Art Museum, housed within the São Tiago Fortress. We recommend an optional excursion to Eira do Serrado or an awe-inspiring dolphin and whale watching experience.* Overnight stay in Madeira.
* Optional Half-Day Eira do Serrado Excursion: Set off for Eira do Serrado viewpoint, stopping along the way at Pico dos Barcelos for amazing views of Funchal. At Eira do Serrado, soak up the views of the island and the charming village of Curral das Freiras below. Head to Monte, known for its beautiful church and toboggan run, and visit a local embroidery producer to learn about this traditional Madeiran handicraft as you sample a little Madeiran wine! Please note: this excursion operates on Monday and Thursday only.
* Optional Dolphin and Whale Watching Boat Tour: Set off on a boat tour around the coast of Madeira in search of marine life! Keep your eyes peeled for playful dolphin pods, frequently sighted in the Atlantic waters of Madiera. If you are lucky, you might even spot a whale or sea turtle too!
Please note: you can only choose one of the two available optional excursions on this day.
Breakfast* at the hotel. It's time to bring your journey through Portugal and Madeira to an end. At the indicated time, transfer to the airport for your flight to US.** Arrive in US and end your trip.
* Depending on the return flight schedule and the hotel breakfast service, you may not be able to enjoy the included breakfast on the last day.
** If your return flight departs in the evening, your arrival in US will be the following day and the total duration of your trip will be 14 days.
Accommodation: 11 Nights
*In case the advertised hotels are not available they will be replaced by one of these alternative hotels with the same quality: EXE Liberdade, Exe Saldanha, Holiday Inn Express Lisbon, Holiday Inn Express Saldanha, Moxy Lisboa Oriente, My Story Hotel Tejo.
Tour of Lisbon
An eye-opening overview of this incredible city. Stroll through the neighbourhood of Alfama, see the historic Monastery of Jeronimos and Belem Tower and visit Pasteis de Belem for a mouth-watering pastry tasting session before exploring the city center!
Not included: Meals, tips and any other service not mentioned as included. Belem Tower: Exterior visit, entrance not included. Space inside is very limited. Alfama: Possibility to enter the catedral for photo (free). Ticket to full visit of Cathedral not included
Excursion to Sintra
Visit the Quinta da Regaleira Gardens and Palace considered the most enigmatic of all the estates in Sintra. In the afternoon head to Cape Roca and explore the village of Cascais.
Obidos, Nazare & Fatima Excursion
Explore the cobblestone streets and charming architecture of Obidos and pay a visit to Nazare, a surfers paradise, home to some of the largest waves in the world! Finish the day in the historic and fascinating city of Fatima, a Catholic pilgrimage site.
What's included: Transport, guides
Christ Convent in Tomar & Coimbra Tour
Head to Tomar to visit the famous Convent of Christ complex, once a stronghold of the Templars in the 12th-century. Afterwards, continue to the city of Coimbra, once the capital of Portugal and a student city, home to the oldest university in the country.
Dinner with Fado Show
Head to the historic neighbourhood of Alfama to indulge in an evening of traditional Portuguese cuisine accompanied by the melancholic sounds of Fado music. Soak up the warm atmosphere and listen to the soft melodies of the Portuguese guitar.
What's included: Entrance, Fado show, main dish, desert, selected drinks and coffee. Not included: Pick up and drop off
2 Excursions package - Highlights of Portugal
Make the most of your time in Portugal with this pack of two unmissable experiences: a Dinner & Fado Show and a boat tour in River Douro
What's included: A complete dinner with Fado Show in Lisbon and a boat tour in River Douro Not included: Transfers and any other service not mentioned on the details of each excursion.
Dinner with Fado and Folklore Show in Porto
This evening you will enjoy a fantastic gastronomic show that will highlight the remarkable traditions of the Douro and northern Portuguese culture. This lively evening will combine Folklore songs, traditional dances and an all-inclusive dinner.
What's included: Shuttle from Porto center. Traditional dinner with red and white wine, Beer, Water, Soft Drinks and Coffee.
Typical Night in Madeira
Spend the evening dining on traditional Madeiran cuisine of marinated beef, delicious fried maize, homemade bread and local wines at an authentic restaurant and enjoy live entertainment by a Madeiran folklore group.
What's included: Sightseeing tour with english explanation about the history and geology of the island. Lunch included.
The price includes
- Included in all our trips. more information
- Departures from main US airports.
- International flights: US - Lisbon, Madeira - US.
- Internal flight: Lisbon - Madeira.*more information
- 11 nights accommodation in Charm category hotels. **more informationSee hotels included
- 11 breakfasts.
- Transfers in air-conditioned vehicles.
- Visits and entrance fees as indicated in the itinerary.See itinerary
- Air taxes and fuel surcharge.
- English-speaking guide.
Tax*, drinks, tips and any other services not mentioned in what's included.
* Approximately €2 per person, per night in Lisboa and Porto.
* Documentation of the internal flights will either be available in the "My bookings" section in your "Customer Area" 14 days before your trip or delivered to you on arrival at your destination. It is essential to fill in the passport information correctly for each passenger in the given boxes at the end of the reservations process.
** Hotel rooms in Portugal are usually equipped with one double bed. If you require twin beds, please let us know at the time of booking and we will try our best to accommodate your request, although it cannot always be guaranteed.
In the event of closures or special events, the order of the itinerary may change. In this case, all tours and excursions mentioned in the itinerary will go ahead, but possibly in a different order.
Please note: Travelers are required to pay a municipal tax (approximately €2 per person, per night) directly to the hotels in Lisbon and Porto upon departure. A credit card must be presented as a guarantee to the hotels upon arrival.
- Entry requirementsPassport with a minimum of 6 months validity required.
- VisaNo visa is required.
- Electricity230 V. No adapter required.
- HealthThere are no mandatory vaccinations.
- Time zoneUTC + 0
- Other useful informationPortugal is the oldest country in Europe.
- Tourist Office websitehttp://www.visitportugal.com
Remember to download your e-ticket to confirm the times of your flights and to complete online check-in using the airline’s website, or directly at the check-in desk at the airport.
Accommodation at the hotels is as indicated. In the event of any changes to accommodation, they will always be of the same, or a higher category. The category of hotels is not standardized across all countries in the world. For this reason, the criteria may differ depending on the destination country's own standards.
In the case of adverse weather conditions, for safety reasons or for any other reasons deemed appropriate, the order and duration of the excursions included in the itinerary may be changed or canceled without prior notice.
If you have reduced mobility/require the use of a wheelchair and prefer to go at your own pace, please contact our customer service team at +1 888-488-0592 or via our contact form.
Exoticca Travel Stories
Creating unforgettable memories, one traveler at a time
We really enjoyed our tour in Portugal!
At Lisbon Airport they came to pick us up though it was only my husband and myself. Throughout the entire trip, the guide explained everything & told us stories related to the tour. This was the third time we have travelled with Exoticca.