Costa Rica Self-drive in 7 Days
Tropical Adventures & Rainforests
A self-drive adventure through Costa Rica, see the country's most breathtaking landscapes, from the Arenal volcano to the wildlife-rich cloud forests of Monteverde.
Discover the abundant nature of Costa Rica with this self-drive for added freedom! Explore the rich diversity of the country's rainforests, feel the strength of the Arenal Volcano and experience the tranquillity of this beautiful natural environmentand. Explore the abundant cloud forests of lush Monteverde and its extensive nature trails.
7 days trip including flights*
7 days and 6 nights in destination
NYC - SJO
SJO - NYC
* It may change depending of your departure city, departure date and arrival date.
The calendar does not display internal flights, trains or other transportation included in the itinerary.
Arrive at your US departure airport to board a flight* to San José. Arrive in the capital of Costa Rica and pick up your rental car to self-transfer to your hotel in Arenal. Overnight stay in Arenal.
* If either your outbound or inbound flights depart in the early hours (before 4:00 a.m.) you must arrive at the airport the night before the indicated departure day.
Breakfast at the hotel. Spend the morning at your leisure. In the afternoon, meet your guide in the hotel lobby and embark on a guided hike to the Arenal Volcano. Enjoy a hiking experience through trails marked with the remains of previous lava flows of the impressive and majestic Arenal Volcano. The main attraction of La Fortuna is the Arenal Volcano with its nearly perfect cone shape and a height of 1633 meters. Along the hike you will discover the abundant flora and some fauna which inhabits the rainforest under re-generation; your guide will tell you all about the Arenal Volcano history and activity. After the hike, you may choose between different popular hot springs in the area to relax and enjoy the water which is naturally heated by the volcano (optional extras).* Overnight stay in Arenal.
Breakfast at the hotel. Free day to enjoy the tranquillity of this beautiful natural environment. We recommend an optional horseback ride excursion to experience the natural environment in the traditional way.* Overnight stay in Arenal.
* Optional Half-Day Horseback Ride Excursion: Set off on a scenic horseback ride to appreciate the beauty of nature and the sounds, colour and energy of the rainforest. Ascend to a viewpoint where you will have an impressive view of the Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. Lunch included.
Breakfast at the hotel. In the morning, drive to Monteverde, travelling along the banks of Lake Arenal for breathtaking views of the volcano. En-route, embark on an exciting unguided Hanging Bridges excursion for the best views of the treetop wildlife of Monteverde. Traverse a route of approximately 3 kilometres, crossing a combination of trails and hanging bridges which criss-cross the abundant 'cloud forest'. This is a unique and thrilling way to experience the best of Costa Rican wildlife, away from the hustle and bustle of the rainforest floor. Check-in to the hotel and enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure. Overnight stay in Monteverde.
Please note: the Hanging Bridges excursion is unaccompanied, without a guide.
Breakfast at the hotel. Enjoy the morning at your leisure in Monteverde. Set off at sunset for a night-walk with a naturalist guide and torchlights to observe the nocturnal wildlife. Look out for lazy sloths, armadillos and sleeping birds perched in the treetops as you enjoy a 2.5-hour night walk in the rainforest. Overnight stay in Monteverde.
Breakfast at the hotel. Enjoy a day at your leisure in leafy Monteverde, getting in touch with nature or simply unwinding at the hotel and making the most of the facilities. We recommend an optional excursion to the Monteverde Cloud Forest.* Overnight stay in Monteverde.
* Optional Monteverde Cloud Forest Excursion: Explore the rich cloud forests and extensive nature trails of Monteverde Cloud Forest. Observe wildlife ranging from jaguars to butterflies and quetzals as you traverse a number of different trails through 8 different ‘life-zones’ ranging from swamps to cloud forests.
Breakfast at the hotel. At the indicated time, drive to the airport and drop off your rental car, ready to board your flight back to the US. Arrive in the US and end your trip.
If your return flight departs in the evening, your arrival in the US will be the following day and the total duration of your trip will be 8 days.
*In case the advertised hotels are not available they will be replaced by one of these alternative hotels with the same quality: Arenal Volcano Inn, Lomas del Volcán.
Included activity for day 2 in Arenal
Duration 03:00h Approx. Pick up time: 14:30 Approx
Guided hike to the Arenal Volcano
Take a guided hiking excursion to the Mirador el Silencio to discover the abundant landscapes of the incredible Arenal Volcano! Discover the rich flora and fauna of the rainforest and learn about one of Costa Rica's most iconic natural wonders.
What's included: Transfer, bilingual guide, entrance to the park
Included activity for day 4 in Arenal
Duration 02:30h Approx. Pick up time: 07:50 Approx
Hanging Bridges of Arenal
Enjoy a Hanging Bridges Excursion through the lush, abundant rainforest of Arenal. Admire the beauty of the forest and the backdrop of the Arenal Volcano and gain valuable insight into the native plant and animal species from your expert guide.
What's included: Entrance to the bridges
Included activity for day 5 in Monteverde
Duration 02:30h Approx. Pick up time: 17:45 Approx
Monteverde Night Walk
Discover the abundant wildlife of Monteverde after dark as you take several different trails around the well-preserved reserve. Your guide will provide you with the necessary equipment for the best chance of spotting nocturnal species!
What's included: Flashlight
If you have reduced mobility you can request assistance for these activities by speaking to one of our experts
Suggested activity for day 3
Duration 02:30h Approx. Pick up time: 10:00 Approx
Half-Day Horse Riding Excursion
Set off on a scenic horseback ride to appreciate the beauty of nature and the sounds, colour and energy of the rainforest. Ascend to a viewpoint where you will have an impressive view of the Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal.
What's included: Transportation - Bilingual guide - Equipment - Horseback riding
Suggested activity for day 6 in Monteverde
Duration 04:00h Approx. Pick up time: 07:45 Approx
Excursion to Monteverde Cloud Forest
Explore the rich cloud forests and extensive nature trails of Monteverde Cloud Forest. Observe wildlife ranging from jaguars to butterflies and quetzals as you traverse a number of different trails through 8 different ‘life-zones’.
The price includes
- Included in all our trips. more information
- Departures from main US airports.
- International flights: US - San José - US.
- 6 nights hotel accommodation in Charm and Superior category hotels.See hotels included
- 6 breakfasts.
- Visits and entrance fees as indicated in the itinerary.See itinerary
- All air taxes and fuel surcharge.
- Compact Rental Car for 7 days (Hyundai Accent or similar). *more information
- English-speaking guide only during the excursions.
Rental car security insurance (mandatory) and deposit (USD$750), additional rental car insurance, GPS rental, drinks, tips and any other services not mentioned in what's included.
* Requirements: Valid and original drivers license, issued at least 2 years ago. This is valid for 90 days in Costa Rica, from the date of entry stamped on your passport. An international license is necessary in the case that the license is in another alphabet (Hebrew, Mandarin, etc.). Provisional drivers licenses or photocopies are not accepted. Passport must be stamped upon entry to the country and you must present your Credit Card (only MasterCard, VISA or American Express are accepted) to cover the security deposit of USD$750. Deposit with Debit Card or cash is not allowed. Please note, the minimum age to rent a car is 23 years.
- Entry requirementsValid passport with at least six months validity.
- VisaVisa is not required for stays less than 90 days.
- CurrencyCosta Rican Colon
- Electricity110 V. Adapter required.
- HealthPlease consult your doctor regarding malaria prophylaxis.
- Time zoneUTC - 06:00
- Other useful informationLocal emergency number: 128
- Tourist Office websitehttps://www.visitcostarica.com/en
Remember to download your e-ticket to confirm the times of your flights and to complete online check-in using the airline’s website, or directly at the check-in desk at the airport.
Accommodation at the hotels is as indicated. In the event of any changes to accommodation, they will always be of the same, or a higher category. The category of hotels is not standardized across all countries in the world. For this reason, the criteria may differ depending on the destination country's own standards.
In the case of adverse weather conditions, for safety reasons or for any other reasons deemed appropriate, the order and duration of the excursions included in the itinerary may be changed or cancelled without prior notice.
Triple room: the third bed will be a rollaway bed.
Children: 2 - 10 years.
Exoticca Travel Stories
Creating unforgettable memories, one traveler at a time
Everything was great and on point.
Hotels, transportation and activities, everything was as shown in the itinerary. Great communication with the local guides onsite.