Costa Rica in 14 Days
Magical Night of the Sea Turtles
A dream trip for nature lovers, discover the sea turtles of Tortuguero, Monteverde's lush rainforests, the Arenal Volcano and the Guanacaste coast.
- Free Cancellation
- Flexible Booking
- COVID-19 Protection included
- Exoticca is a member of ASTA
Discover the abundant nature of Costa Rica and enjoy the perfect combination of adventure and relaxation. Stroll through the historic streets of San José, navigate the canals of Tortuguero and feel the strength of the Arenal Volcano. Explore the abundant cloud forests of lush Monteverde and enjoy the Guanacaste sunshine in the tropical paradise of Tamarindo.
14 days trip including flights*
14 days and 13 nights in destination
NYC - SJO
SJO - NYC
* It may change depending of your departure city, departure date and arrival date.
The calendar does not display internal flights, trains or other transportation included in the itinerary.
Arrive at your US departure airport to board a flight* to San José. Arrive in the capital of Costa Rica and transfer to your hotel. Overnight stay in San Jose.
* If either your outbound or inbound flights depart in the early hours (before 4:00 a.m.) you must arrive at the airport the night before the indicated departure day.
Set off early towards Tortuguero with a stop along the way for breakfast. Pass through the exuberant Braulio Carrillo National Park before finally arriving in Tortuguero and your hotel in time for lunch. In the afternoon, enjoy a fascinating tour of Tortuguero, including the Turtle Conservation Museum and the lively village. Enjoy a boat ride through the leafy canals back to the hotel and spend the rest of the day exploring at your leisure. Dinner and overnight stay in Tortuguero.
Breakfast at the hotel. This morning, enjoy a relaxing boat trip along the canals of Tortuguero, admiring the abundant flora and fauna. Return to the hotel for lunch. The afternoon is free at your leisure to explore further or simply relax at the hotel. In the evening, we recommend taking the opportunity to see the turtles spawning on the beach (July - September). Dinner and overnight stay in Tortuguero.
Please note: Entrance to Tortuguero National Park is not included. Approximately $15 per person, to be paid at the destination.
Breakfast at the hotel. In the morning, set off for the charming city of Guapiles, arriving in time for lunch. Afterwards, it's time to pick up your rental car and continue the drive towards La Fortuna, where the Arenal Volcano is located, one of the most important and spectacular in Costa Rica. Arrive at the hotel and spend the rest of the afternoon exploring at your leisure. Overnight stay in Arenal.
Breakfast at the hotel. Spend a relaxing morning at your leisure. In the afternoon, meet your guide in the hotel lobby and embark on a guided hike to the Arenal Volcano. Enjoy a hiking experience through trails marked with the remains of previous lava flows of the impressive and majestic Arenal Volcano. The main attraction of La Fortuna is the Arenal Volcano with its nearly perfect cone shape and a height of 1633 meters. Along the hike you will discover the abundant flora and some fauna which inhabits the rainforest under re-generation; your guide will tell you all about the Arenal Volcano history and activity. After the hike, you may choose between different popular hot springs in the area to relax and enjoy the water which is naturally heated by the volcano (optional extras).* Overnight stay in Arenal.
* Thermal Hot Springs in Tabacón: Enjoy one of the main natural wonders of the country with waterfalls that form natural pools whose thermal waters emerge directly from the impressive and active Arenal Volcano. Dinner included.
* Paradise Hot Springs Pass: Enjoy an evening of indulgence with a pass to the Paradise Natural Hot Springs, heated by the Arenal Volcano. Enjoy access to three different hot pools and two hydromassage hot tubs, perfect for relaxing in the beautiful tropical surroundings.
Breakfast at the hotel. Free day to enjoy the tranquillity of this beautiful natural environment. We recommend an optional horseback ride excursion to experience the natural environment in the traditional way.* Overnight stay in Arenal.
* Optional Half-Day Horseback Ride Excursion: Set off on a scenic horseback ride to appreciate the beauty of nature and the sounds, colour and energy of the rainforest. Ascend to a viewpoint where you will have an impressive view of the Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. Also, enjoy a brief walking tour to one of the park's suspension bridges. Lunch included.
Breakfast at the hotel. In the morning, drive to Monteverde, travelling along the banks of Lake Arenal for breathtaking views of the volcano. Arrive in Monteverde, one of the richest and diverse rainforests in the world, home to extensive trails, abundant wildlife including several monkey species, and astounding natural beauty. Check-in to the hotel and enjoy an afternoon at your leisure. We recommend an exciting optional Monteverde Canopy Tour.* Overnight stay in Monteverde.
* Optional Monteverde Canopy Tour: Explore the canopy on one of the longest cables in the country and cross suspension bridges and zip lines of more than 900 feet high, from where you can explore the treetops and the wide biological diversity of the rainforest. We recommend wearing long trousers, a light jacket and comfortable shoes.
Breakfast at the hotel. In the morning embark on an exciting unguided Hanging Bridges excursion for the best views of the treetop wildlife of Monteverde. Traverse a route of approximately 3 kilometres, crossing a combination of trails and hanging bridges which criss-cross the abundant 'cloud forest'. This is a unique and thrilling way to experience the best of Costa Rican wildlife, away from the hustle and bustle of the rainforest floor. Return to the hotel and the rest of the afternoon is free at your leisure. We recommend an optional night-walk for a chance to encounter the local nocturnal wildlife.* Overnight stay in Monteverde.
* Optional Night Walk in Monteverde: Set off at sunset to observe the nocturnal wildlife with the help of a naturalist guide and torchlights. Look out for lazy sloths, armadillos and sleeping birds perched in the treetops as you enjoy a 2.5-hour night walk in the rainforest.
Please note: the Hanging Bridges excursion is unaccompanied, without a guide.
Breakfast at the hotel. Enjoy a day at your leisure in leafy Monteverde, getting in touch with nature or simply unwinding at the hotel and making the most of the facilities. We recommend an optional excursion to the Monteverde Cloud Forest.* Overnight stay in Monteverde.
* Optional Monteverde Cloud Forest Excursion: Explore the rich cloud forests and extensive nature trails of Monteverde Cloud Forest. Observe wildlife ranging from jaguars to butterflies and quetzals as you traverse a number of different trails through 8 different ‘life-zones’ ranging from swamps to cloud forests.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today, drive to Tamarindo, in the province of Guanacaste, known for its beautiful beaches and surfing. Arrive at the hotel and begin to enjoy your stay surrounded by idyllic beaches, bathed in Guanacaste sunshine. Overnight stay in Tamarindo.
Breakfast at the hotel. Enjoy a day at your leisure, soaking up the sunshine and relaxing on the idyllic underdeveloped beaches of Tamarindo. We recommend an optional boat safari in the Las Baulas National Park.* Overnight stay in Tamarindo.
* Optional Boat Safari in Tamarindo Estuary: Discover the unique flora and fauna which inhabit the lush mangroves. Look out for noisy howler monkeys, crocodiles and iguanas, whilst appreciating the colourful birdlife above. Slowly travel along the channels, so as not to disturb the wildlife, and admire the wonderful natural beauty of the reserve.
Breakfast at the hotel. Free day to enjoy this tropical Costa Rican paradise located on the Pacific North Coast, with dreamy beaches bathed by the Guanacaste sun. We recommend an optional Catamaran Tour this morning.* Overnight stay in Tamarindo.
* Optional Catamaran Tour: Set off in the morning on a relaxing catamaran tour. The route is the same as the afternoon but with much less boat traffic. Look out for marine life such as whales, dolphins and rays, and enjoy snorkelling in the clear waters. Buffet brunch included.
Breakfast at the hotel. Drive back to the capital today, to spend your last night in San José. We suggest taking a stroll through this beautiful city, visiting the National Theatre of Costa Rica or enjoying a delicious dinner at a local restaurant. For a great overview of the city, we recommend an optional city tour of San José.* Overnight stay in San José.
* Optional San Jose City Tour: Visit the most prominent sights of the city such as the National Theater, the Art Museum, the Metropolitan Cathedral and the charming Central Market, among other places. Traditional dinner included.
Breakfast at the hotel. At the indicated time, drive to the airport and drop off your rental car, ready to board your flight back to the US. Arrive in the US and end your trip.
If your return flight departs in the evening, your arrival in the US will be the following day and the total duration of your trip will be 15 days.
*In case the advertised hotels are not available they will be replaced by one of these alternative hotels with the same quality: Park Inn by Radisson San Jose, Radisson San José, Wyndham Garden.
If you have reduced mobility you can request assistance for these activities by speaking to one of our experts
Suggested activity for day 5 in Arenal
Duration 04:00h Approx. Pick up time: 17:30 Approx
Arenal: Tabacón Thermal Baths Excursion
One of the natural wonders of Costa Rica, bathe in the thermal waters that emerge directly from the impressive and active Arenal Volcano! Relax and unwind as you enjoy the therapeutic properties of these natural springs. Dinner included.
Suggested activity for day 6
Half-Day Horse Riding Excursion
Set off on a scenic horseback ride to appreciate the beauty of nature and the sounds, colour and energy of the rainforest. Ascend to a viewpoint where you will have an impressive view of the Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal.
Suggested activity for day 7
Monteverde Canopy High Ropes Tour
Explore the canopy on one of the longest cables in the country and cross suspension bridges and zip lines of more than 900 feet high, from where you can explore the treetops and the wide biological diversity of the rainforest.
Suggested activity for day 8
Duration 02:30h Approx. Pick up time: 17:45 Approx
Night-Walk in Monteverde
Discover the abundant nocturnal wildlife of Monteverde as you take several different trails around a private nature reserve.
The price includes
- Included in all our trips. more information
- Departures from main US airports.
- International flights: US - San José - US.
- 13 nights hotel accommodation in Charm and Superior category hotels.See hotels included
- 11 Breakfasts and Full-Board in Tortuguero.
- Transfers in air-conditioned vehicles.
- Visits and entrance fees as indicated in the itinerary.See itinerary
- All air taxes and fuel surcharge.
- Exclusive access to Langosta Beach Club. *more information
- English-speaking guide only during the excurions.
Entrances*, drinks, tips and any other services not mentioned in what's included.
Entrance to Tortuguero National Park is not included. Approximately $15 per person, to be paid at the destination.
* As a guest of Wyndham Tamarindo you have exclusive access to Langosta Beach Club, located in Tamarindo, on the road to Playa Langosta.
- Entry requirementsValid passport with at least six months validity.
- VisaVisa is not required for stays less than 90 days.
- CurrencyCosta Rican Colon
- Electricity110 V. Adapter required.
- HealthPlease consult your doctor regarding malaria prophylaxis.
- Time zoneUTC - 06:00
- Other useful informationLocal emergency number: 128
- Tourist Office websitehttps://www.visitcostarica.com/en
Remember to download your e-ticket to confirm the times of your flights and to complete online check-in using the airline’s website, or directly at the check-in desk at the airport.
Accommodation at the hotels is as indicated. In the event of any changes to accommodation, they will always be of the same, or a higher category. The category of hotels is not standardized across all countries in the world. For this reason, the criteria may differ depending on the destination country's own standards.
In the case of adverse weather conditions, for safety reasons or for any other reasons deemed appropriate, the order and duration of the excursions included in the itinerary may be changed or cancelled without prior notice.
Triple room: the third bed will be a rollaway bed.
Children: 2 - 10 years.
Exoticca Travel Stories
Creating unforgettable memories, one traveler at a time
Costa Rica with Exoticca
The communication before the tour was good, I was met at the airport and the 4 places visited showed different aspects of the country. I was so impressed by Exoticca that I am thinking of doing more tours with them. They give you a great opportunity to get a feel for a country.
Save when buying your next trip thanks to super discounted prices that we negotiate with airlines and hotels.
Each one of our itineraries are designed to ensure you have the best possible experience in every destination.