An Italian Adventure: Rome to Lake Como
Italy in 10 Days • 9 Nights in Destination
Our classic tour of Italy's most emblematic cities, from the Eternal City of Rome to the Renaissance heritage of Florence, through the romantic canals in Venice to fashion capital Milan.
Begin your Italian adventure in Rome and admire one of the most romantic cities in the world with cultural delights, such as the Colosseum. Head to Florence to discover its hidden treasures and Renaissance heritage. Next, explore Venice, known for its waterways and canals, and finally discover design hub Milan and Lake Como, with its dramatic scenery set against the foothills of the Alps.
Pack your bags and head to your departure airport, ready for a flight* to the eternal city of Rome. Arrive in Rome, the Italian capital, and transfer to the hotel. Depending on your arrival time, the remainder of the day is free to begin exploring this romantic, historic city. The evening is the most magical time of day in Rome when the streets take on an even more charming character, wander around the quaint streets and charming piazzas while you indulge in their world-famous gastronomy. Overnight stay in Rome.
* If either your outbound or inbound flights depart in the early hours (before 4:00 a.m.) you must arrive at the airport the night before the indicated departure day.
Breakfast at the hotel. Your guide will greet you at the hotel. Today, enjoy a panoramic view on the bus and discover the eternal city. Learn about the history of this empire, from its birth to the gladiatorial fights in the Colosseum, and appreciate the preserved corners of ancient Rome in the Forum and the Palatine Hill. We recommend the optional Piazzas and Fountains of Rome excursion* and dinner at an authentic Italian restaurant**. Overnight stay in Rome.
* Optional Piazzas & Fountains of Rome Excursion: Take a pleasant walk through the artistic heart of Rome to visit its most symbolic piazzas and fountains! Visit Piazza Navona, the most elegant of all Rome squares and home to Bernini's Four Rivers Fountain. See the Church of San Luigi, the incredible Pantheon and the legendary Trevi Fountain, an icon of the city. Finally, pay a visit to the famous Spanish Steps at Piazza di Spagna, the most photogenic spot in the city!
** Optional Authentic Italian meal at a restaurant in Campo Di Fiori: Enjoy an evening of authentic Italian cuisine in beautiful Campo Di Fiori Square, nestled in the heart of historic Rome. Soak up the atmosphere as you indulge in Italian dishes at a local restaurant.
Breakfast at the hotel, today enjoy a day at your leisure in Rome. Perhaps visit the Vatican, trace the footsteps of the greats in the ancient streets of the old city or simply indulge in some delicious Italian ice cream. However you choose to spend your day, Rome is sure to delight you with its old-world charm and unbeatable sights. We suggest taking the optional Guided tour of Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel*. Overnight stay in Rome.
* Optional Skip-the-line Guided Tour of Vatican Museums, St. Peter's Basilica and Sistine Chapel: Explore the priceless treasures held within the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel! Visit the Pio Clementino Hall, Laocoon and Apollo Belvedere, Maps Gallery, Candelabra Gallery, Tapestries Gallery and the incredible Sistine Chapel. Afterwards, discover the incredible St. Peter’s Basilica and the atmospheric St. Peter’s Square, dominated by Michelangelo’s imposing Cupola!
Please note: Optional tour available Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays only.
** Optional Rome by Night - Baroque Rome, with Dinner excursion: A nocturnal view of Rome, with the splendid squares illuminated and away from the daytime bustle. The charming Plaza de España with its spectacular staircase, the fairytale frame of the Trevi Fountain, the majesty of the Pantheon and the baroque Piazza Navona, a route structured to go back in time and evoke the times of the "Dolce Vita" fellini. The tour will end with a typical Roman dinner.
Why not upgrade your trip with our Must See's of Italy package of 2 excursions, available in the next step of the booking process!
Breakfast at the hotel. This morning you will travel to the beautiful city of Florence. To break up this journey, first take a break in Assisi, a majestic hilltop town known for its medieval architecture and the Basilica of St. Francis, a huge 2-level church. Next, stop in Orvieto, a quaint town especially known for its renowned Duomo, European Gothic architecture and the San Patrizio Well, a masterpiece of hydraulic engineering in which you can immerse yourself, descending into the bowels of the earth. Arrive in Florence, the heart of the Italian Renaissance, and enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure exploring the city and the Italian cuisine in this gourmet paradise. We recommend an evening excursion of the city lit up that includes a delicious dinner*. Overnight stay in Florence.
* Optional Illuminated Florence Tour with Dinner excursion: Depart from the hotel and stop at Piazzale Michelangelo where you can admire Florence from the best hill of the city with the most interesting viewpoint, continue to the center from where a night walk will begin to enjoy the illuminated city. The walk will end with a typical Florentine dinner.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today head to the Historic Centre for a guided walking tour of Florence and discover the hidden secrets of the Tuscan capital. Start discovering the up-market Piazza Repubblica, before heading to Loggia del Mercato Nuovo, a building within which a local market takes place. Keep exploring the streets of Florence before arriving at the beautiful and well-known Ponte Vecchio, the most iconic bridge in the city and one of its main symbols. You will then walk through the Piazza della Signoria, the heart of Medieval Florence with the imposing Palazzo Vecchio. End the tour admiring Piazza San Giovanni, home to the impressive Florence Cathedral, with its iconic Brunelleschi cupola and the famous Giotto Belltower. Enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure to continue exploring the captivating sights of Florence. Why not explore the city in more depth with one of our optional excursions. Overnight stay in Florence.
* Optional excursion to The Uffizi: The Uffizi Gallery, designed in the mid-sixteenth century by Giorgio Vasari, consists of 90 museum rooms that host the most important and famous paintings in the history of art: works by Giotto, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Botticelli, in addition to numerous paintings by Flemish and Dutch painters exhibited in chronological order. A visit to this museum is a real journey through time by means of art.
** Optional Half-Day Tour to Pisa & The Leaning Tower: No trip to Italy is complete without a photo at the iconic leaning tower, so don't miss your chance to take a day trip to Pisa! Enjoy a guided walking tour of Piazza dei Miracoli and its monuments and visit the spectacular Pisa Cathedral before spending time at the legendary Leaning Tower of Pisa, learning all about the history of this University city along the way.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today you head to the city of Venice. During the journey stop in Bologna and discover this lively, historic capital of the Emilia-Romagna region, free time before continuing with your journey. Make another stop in Padova, a city rich in beauty, which retains traces of its glorious past, and one of the most important cultural capitals during the fourteenth century. After a short walk, continue towards Venice Mestre. Built across more than 100 small islands, Venice is a pleasure to explore on foot as you get lost in the labyrinthine streets, stumbling across hidden cafes and cultural gems along the way. Get out and discover the plentiful delights of this eternal city, such as the immense Piazza San Marco. Overnight stay in Venice Mestre.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today, see the sights of the beautiful city of Venice. Enjoy a guided walking tour through the City of Water to learn about the history, culture and artistic heritage. Stroll through the most emblematic neighborhoods, see Venice's famous markets and pay a visit to the iconic Rialto Bridge. The rest of the day is at your disposal to continue discovering this unique city at your own pace. We recommend enjoying a quintessentially Venetian gondola ride* or a trip to discover Murano and Burano islands**. Overnight stay in Venice Mestre.
* Optional Gondola Ride Experience excursion: One of the most well-known characteristics of Venice are its historic gondolas. You can be a part of this legacy! Experience an unforgettable gondola ride through the charming waterways of Venice including the iconic Grand Canal. The quintessential Venetian experience! Note: Please note that it is a shared gondola (up to five people for each one) so you might have to share it with other people.
** Optional Half-Day Murano and Burano excursion: Discover the most beautiful islands in Venice, enjoying the enchanting scenery of the Venetian lagoon. The tour includes two stops to visit Murano and Burano and discover their typical artisan products: the centuries-old glass processing in Murano, the fine lace in Burano. Enoy the original colorful buildings as you tour this enchanting area.
Why not upgrade your trip with our Must See's of Italy package of 2 excursions, available in the next step of the booking process!
Breakfast at the hotel. At the indicated time, transfer to the Venice Mestre train station to catch the Frecciarossa high-speed train to Milan (Milano Centrale). Once you arrive, you begin the independent part of the tour, so its time to say goodbye to your group. Transfer to the hotel and, once settled, make your way to the meeting place for your Tour of Milan to discover the history and culture of this Gothic city. Stop at Parco Sempione and Castello Sforzesco, a medieval fortress rebuilt and embellished by the Sforza family in 1450. Walk through the surrounding gardens and admire the castle from the outside. Continue to the Teatro alla Scala, the Milanese Salone and the Tempio dell'Opera. See the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, an opulent shopping arcade, famous for its vaulted glass and iron arches, before admiring the incredible Duomo Cathedral from the outside, a true architectural marvel and the fifth largest cathedral in Europe! The remainder of the day is free to enjoy Milan at your leisure. Why not go out for a few scoops of gelato this evening or pay a visit to the fabulous Vittorio Emanuele II shopping arcade, one of the most famous sights in Milan. Overnight stay in Milan.
Breakfast at the hotel. Leave the hustle and bustle behind as you set off on a full-day excursion to Lake Como and Bellagio. Head to the meeting point and depart northwards to the Italian Alps, home to the stunning shores of Lake Como, one of the most sought-after destinations in the country. Known for its tranquil waters and glamorous resorts, explore the natural beauty of the surroundings and enjoy some free time for shopping or lunch. Afterwards, embark on a 2-hour cruise across Lake Como to take in the Alpine views and cool, clear air. Disembark at the upmarket town of Belaggio and spend some time at your leisure to get to know its charming streets and cosmopolitan cafes before returning to Milan. Overnight stay in Milan.
Breakfast at the hotel. At the indicated time, transfer to the airport for your return flight to the UK/Ireland.
* Depending on the return flight schedule and the hotel breakfast service, you may not be able to enjoy the included breakfast on the last day.
10 days trip including flights*
10 days and 9 nights in destination
LON - FCO
MXP - LON
* It may change depending of your departure city, departure date and arrival date.
The calendar does not display internal flights, trains or other transportation included in the itinerary.
Accommodation: 9 Nights
*In case the advertised hotels are not available they will be replaced by one of these alternative hotels with the same quality: Hotel Caravel, Hotel Gambrinus.
Walking Tour of the Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill
Take a guided walking tour of three of the main archaeological sites in Rome. Learn about the history of this empire, from its birth to the gladiator fights of the Colosseum and appreciate the relics of ancient Rome at the Forum and Palatine Hill.
What's included: Skip-the-line entrance tickets: Colosseum - Palatine Hill - Roman Forum, Authorized guide and headphones Not included: Hotel pick up and drop off.
Guided Walking Tour of Florence
Discover the highlights of Florence, the birthplace of the Renaissance, on a guided walking tour. Highlights include the historic Ponte Vecchio bridge, Piazza della Signoria, Piazza San Giovanni, the iconic Florence Cathedral and the Giotto Belltower.
What's included: Walking tour in Florence with professional guide Not included: Hotel pick up and drop off. Food and beverages.
Guided Walking Tour of Venice
Take a guided walking tour through Venice to learn about the culture and artistic heritage of the city. Stroll through the city, taste a traditional spritz (own expense) at a local tavern, visit the iconic Rialto Bridge and cruise on the Giudecca Canal!
What's included: Walking tour in Venice with professional guide Not included: Hotel pick up and drop off, entrance fees.
Milan City Tour
Discover Milan, from the medieval Castello Sforzesco to the Teatro alla Scala, the iconic Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II and the famous Duomo Cathedral as you explore the most emblematic sights in this Gothic city.
Not included: Hotel Pick up and drop off
Authentic Italian Lunch at a restaurant in Campo Di Fiori in Rome
Enjoy a lunch of authentic Italian cuisine in beautiful Campo Di Fiori Square, nestled in the heart of historic Rome. Soak up the atmosphere as you indulge in Italian dishes at a local restaurant.
Piazzas & Fountains of Rome Excursion
Discover the most symbolic piazzas and fountains in Rome! Visit Piazza Navona, home to Bernini's Four Rivers Fountain and see the Pantheon and the legendary Trevi Fountain. Finally, pay a visit to the famous Spanish Steps at Piazza di Spagna.
What's included: Professional licensed guide and headsets. Not included: Pick up and return to the hotel.
Pack of 2 Excursions: Must-sees of Italy
Make the most of your time in Italy with this pack of two unmissable experiences: a Skip-the-line guided tour of Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel and a gondola ride in Venice
What's included: Skip-the-line Guided Tour of Vatican Museums, St. Peter's Basilica and Sistine Chapel & Gondola ride experience in Venice
Baroque Rome by Night & Dinner
A nocturnal tour of Rome, with the splendid squares illuminated and away from the daytime bustle. The tour will end with a typical Roman dinner.
What's included: Dinner
The price includes
- Included in all our trips. more information
- Departures from main UK/Ireland airports.
- International flights: UK/Ireland - Rome, Milan - UK/Ireland.
- Domestic high-speed train in standard class: Venice Mestre - Milano Centrale.
- 9 nights accommodation in Superior category hotels.See hotels included
- 9 breakfasts.
- Transfers in air-conditioned vehicles as indicated in the itinerary.
- Visits and entrance fees as indicated in the itinerary.See itinerary
- All air taxes and fuel surcharge.
- Cruise on Lake Como.
- Guided walking tours in Florence, Venice and Milan and a panoramic view on the bus in Rome.
- ATOL Protection.
- Tour Leader from day 2 to day 8. Guided visit to the Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill in Rome.
- Full-Day Excursion to Lake Como.
*The cancellation policy applicable is according to the Terms and Conditions available and agreed at the time of your purchase
Tax*, drinks, tips and any other services not mentioned in what's included.
* Accommodation tax in Italy must be paid directly to the hotel (Approx. 6 € per person per night).
Hotel ratings in Italy are not governed by the same standards as those in the UK/Ireland, so please keep this in mind when selecting your desired accommodation category.
Please note that in Milano will be an independent tour, not a group tour. It includes accommodation, some activities and some transfers, but you will not be accompanied by a guide throughout the entire trip, nor will you be traveling in a group. As an independent tour, the dates of the excursions may differ based on the availability of the tours.
Important: please bear in mind that the accommodation included in Venice is located in Venice Mestre, which is situated outside the island, approximately 15 minutes away by train, bus or Taxi.
- Entry requirementsValid passport required.
- VisaNo visa is required to enter the country.
- Electricity220 V. No adapter required.
- HealthThere are no mandatory vaccinations for travellers from EU countries.
- Time zoneGMT + 01:00.
- Other useful informationItalian cuisine is one of the most prominent in the world. The national dish is pasta.
- Tourist Office websitehttp://www.italia.it/en/home.html
Remember to download your e-ticket to confirm the times of your flights and to complete online check-in using the airline’s website, or directly at the check-in desk at the airport.
Accommodation at the hotels is as indicated. In the event of any changes to accommodation, they will always be of the same, or a higher category. The category of hotels is not standardized across all countries in the world. For this reason, the criteria may differ depending on the destination country's own standards.
In the case of adverse weather conditions, for safety reasons or for any other reasons deemed appropriate, the order and duration of the excursions included in the itinerary may be changed or cancelled without prior notice.
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office offer up-to-date travel advice by visiting www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.
Exoticca Travel Stories
Creating unforgettable memories, one traveller at a time
A Taste of Italy...
Exotica provided us with an incredibly memorable, intellectually stimulating, and phenomenally affordable trip through Italy. The excursions offered and the tour guides chosen to lead them were top shelf. I’ve traveled to 82 countries and give Exoticca my strongest endorsement